Saturday, August 6, 2011

THE TOAST OF THE TOWN

I found this little pamphlet tonight in my Dads collection called ..
50 drinks & toasts...to help make you the perfect host. 
I was excited to post it but found that most of the toasts are slightly harsh if not down right ...mean. There was some other info that I thought might interest you all,

The following story is far fetched but perhaps some truth, I really have no idea!
ORIGIN OF THE TERM TOAST
Bath, England:mid 1600's
Englishmen often floated a bit of toast in drinks, but the term "toast" first began when a famous beauty was seen in the public baths. As an admirer filled his glass with the bath water to drink to her health. A companion remarked he didn't care for the drink, but he'd like the toast.
I KNOW ITS CHEESEY!

 Here are a few samples of the toasts that I guess were things our parents thought were funny?
TO FRIENDS:
as long as we are able to lift our glasses from the table!
Heres to the memories we all treasure, our waistlines, increased in measure!
Heres to our friendship, tried and true, the men have passed 40 the women never do!
SALUD!
A Drink to toast with:
St Louis Cocktail
1/2 peach 
chilled Southern Comfort
put fruit in sherbet or champagne glass add finely cracked ice fill with S.C. Serve with small spoon.short straw

No comments: